Hearing, Sensing, Smelling, Talking, Swallowing are some of the fundamental features in our body which are essentially required. Life without any one of the above is tougher for a human. It is hard to think of the consequences when any of those suffer from a problem. The entire life will be difficult until they are cured. ENT Clinic is the place where you can treat or safeguard yourself when those sensitive elements are suffering from a disease. ENT specialist is the one who helps you recover from such typical situations. Otolaryngology is a study in medicine which deals with the disorders in ears, nose, and throat. A person who pursues a specialization in Otolaryngology and treats disorders related to Ears, Nose, Throat (ENT) is known as Otolaryngologist. They also expertise in the surgical management of the ENT related problems. Otolaryngologist needs additional training for several years to perform surgeries. ENT specialists treat his patients in an ENT Clinic.
Power Of Otolaryngology
Otolaryngology vitally deals with disorders and diseases related to Ear, Nose, Throat, Head, and Neck. Otolaryngology helps to solve the below problems:
- With the help of immunotherapy, it helps in treating allergies
- Otolaryngologists can perform surgeries on face, neck, and ear for various purposes
- Tumours present in head, neck, ear, and throat can be treated or removed
- Throat disorders can be managed
- Tumours, infections related to Ears can be treated
- Nose and Sinus problems can be cured
For quality and better treatment of the patient, the specialist needs a well-equipped clinic. The parts which an ENT specialist operates are sensitive. Without proper facilities and equipment, treatment is not preferable. An ENT Clinic requires standard equipment for promising a safe treatment for the patients.
Equipment’s necessary for ENT clinic
- Head Mirror and Bulls Lamp: A Plano-convex lens is present which sends focused light to the head mirror. Bull’s lamp is perpendicularly placed over the patient’s shoulder.
- Endoscopy Unit: It is used to monitor the patient internally. It is equipped with a light source, camera, and nasal endoscope.
Tongue Depressor: It helps in examining the tongue.
- Nasal Speculum: It helps in tongue examination and anterior rhinoscopy.
- Laryngeal Mirrors: The doctor holds the tongue which enables them to examine Larynx and this process is known as indirect laryngoscopy.
- Post-Nasal Mirror: Helps in posterior rhinoscopy which is the examination of the nasopharynx.
- Ear Speculum: Helps in an inspection of eardrums and ear canal.
- Otoscope: It’s a device that works on the battery helps in the treatment of eardrums.
These are a few types of equipment required for setting up an ENT Clinic.
Duties of otolaryngologist
As he deals with quite sensitive parts of the body he needs to be cautious and patient. Necessary precautions should be taken while treating the patient. He needs to check the degrees of hearing and other parameters when a approaches him. He should have keen observation skills and a skilled team as he can’t perform any examination alone. There should be good coordination between his hand and eye and his vision should be perfect. He should have good team management skills as he should maintain co-ordination in his team. He should have an individual ENT Clinic to organize all his examinations and inspections.
Patients suffering from ENT disorders or diseases need to check for the right specialists. There are lots of practitioners who claim as specialists and run clinics.